Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 2003 23:23:11 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dirk-Willem van Gulik <dirkx@webweaving.org>
To:        Grant Peel <grant@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Block IP

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Grant Peel wrote:

> Can I block a certain IP address at the machine or interface level using
> freebsd? (No at the Apache or Sendmail level).
>
> CyberLaert monioting one of my hosts at the rate of 1.2 GB oer day!

Easiest and quickest is to install the firewall - if it is not already in
your kernel, simply load it as a dynamic module. In a pinch (and if the
person causing problem is doing this by accident) you can try something
like "route add 12.34.56.78/32 127.0.0.1" which will make the tcp
handshake break. Which may cause the other end to realize somethign is
amiss. But it does not really stop the traffic.

Dw