Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 22:27:02 -0500
From:      Mike Irwin <mdi@foobox.com>
To:        FreeBSD-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ad banner hack

Steve Tremblett wrote:
> I've just been adding aliases to 127.0.0.1 for ad banner servers and it
> has been working well for me, but I'm just curious if I might reach a
> point where I break this.  How many aliases can one IP address have?
> This is just a workstation which uses DNS for everything else, but will
> this still work once I have 200 aliases for one address?

AFAIK, you can have as many as you'd like. I've played around with it,
and once had over a thousand aliases in there. Everything still worked
fine for me.

You may find this site interesting: http://smartin-designs.com/. He
maintains a HUGE list of ad banner servers to block, and provides them
in a zipped text file for you to download and use in your /etc/hosts
file.
--
Mike