Date:      Wed, 15 Jul 1998 20:52:21 -0500
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        aw1@stade.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: STOP THE BLOODY CROSS POSTING!

On Thu, Jul 16, 1998 at 01:02:42AM +0100, Adrian Wontroba woke me up to tell me:
> In the hopefully rare cases of this being necessary, I'd suggest that
> the poster sends the message separately to each of the lists involved,
> which should cut down the multiple copies of replies. The downside is
> that it will also fragment discussion.

I think that's a really big downside.  Most (if not all) of the point of
(reasonable) crossposting is that the subject (and relies and discussion
thereon) are of interest to the multiple groups.  Fragmenting would
destroy that, and would actually subject those of use who are subscribed
to both/all the lists to more senseless duplication of mail and effort
than just the crosspost.

> I recall that jmb (I think) has already mentioned a cross-posting limit
> of 2 lists. Reducing it to 1 (perhaps with the exception of a very small
> and select group of posters) would enforce this.

Reducing to 1 is going to far.  For instance, moving a discussion.  That
really should take place on both the original and the destination lists.
Often (read: when I remember ;) I Bcc: the list we're moving off of so
they know where it's going if they want to follow it, and because it's
blinded, it would take special effort to send it to both lists, which
presumably would only be made if it should be done.  But it prevents
mindless 'reply to all' from causing pointless duplication.

OK, I think that's long enough for now...

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |