Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 2002 22:06:34 -0800
From:      Kurt Bigler <kkb@breathhost.net>
To:        Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Mail server howto question

on 12/4/02 7:48 PM, Lord Raiden <dragoncrest@voyager.net> wrote:

> Ok, this is kind of a two part question. So here goes.
>
> 1st, I need to build a mail server that does both pop and smtp.  2nd, I
> need that server to be able to do pop before smtp authentication for relaying.
>
> Anyone got a good tutorial on how to do that and how to setup the server
> to authenticate smtp users via "pop before smtp"?  What mail server
> software would I need to pull this off?  Thanks for the info!

qmail+vpopmail does this.  It is working fine for me.  You can set the life
span of the smtp authorization (how long after a pop smtp accesses are
allowed).  When it expires it requires another pop before smtp is allowed.

Only problem is I find that one send attempt will fail even if I program the
email client to check before sending.  I suppose if there is not enough time
between the pop and the smtp this will happen.  Retrying receive+send at the
client once gets rid of the problem until it expires again.  If you check
email regularly all day it may only expire once a day.

So people using the feature will have to get used to getting the one error
and retrying after each time it is allowed to expire, unless they can
program (or manually arrange) a sufficient delay between popping and sending
in their client.