Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 2004 15:26:30 -0700
From:      Johnson David <DavidJohnson@Siemens.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org
Cc:        yann.luppo@attglobal.net
Subject:   Re: unable to use BOOT EASY to boot linux

On Wednesday 07 April 2004 02:56 pm, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> If I understand what you are asking - FreeBSD on disk0 and Linux
> on disk1, then you need to install an MBR and a standard book
> sector on disk 0.

But the "standard" boot sector will not boot to disk 1. Quoting from the
Handbook:

"If you only have one operating system installed on your disks then the
standard MBR will suffice. This MBR searches for the first bootable
slice on the disk, and then runs the code on that slice to load the
remainder of the operating system.

If you have installed multiple operating systems on your disks then you
can install a different MBR, one that can display a list of different
operating systems, and allows you to choose the one to boot from.
FreeBSD comes with one such MBR which can be installed, and other
operating system vendors also provide alternative MBRs."

What's confusing about the process is that there doesn't seem to be a
common name for the "FreeBSD MBR". In sysinstall it is called
"BootMgr". In the booting section of the handbook and a few man pages
it is called "boot0". It's also commonly referred to as "Boot Easy".

David Johnson