Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2000 21:34:58 +0100 (BST)
From:      Jan Grant <Jan.Grant@bristol.ac.uk>
To:        Daniel Haischt <sirabyss@gmx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cyrus imap server

On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Daniel Haischt wrote:

> i try to install/configure the cyrus imap server.
>
> if i start cyradm, the cyrus administration tool,
> i'll get an authentification error.
>
> below the messages, taken from syslog ...
>
> -------------8<------------8<----------------
> Jul 13 07:28:24 abyssone imapd[22945]: CRAM-MD5: CRAM-MD5 secrets database
> has incompatible version (-1). My version (3)
> Jul 13 07:28:24 abyssone imapd[22945]: DIGEST-MD5: DIGEST-MD5 secrets
> database has incompatible version (-1). My version (3)
> ------------->8------------>8----------------
>
> any help regarding this problem whould be appreciated.

Did you build and install the latest SASL with cyrus? If so, and you've
got an older secrets database, then the SASL distribution probably came
with a utility to update the sasldb.

If you don't want cram or digest-md5 operation (and would prefer to use
PAM/pwcheck) then the sasl documentation recommends building sasl with
just the bits you need.

Drop me a line if you've got problems (I've just spent a day sorting out
the cyrus build for our new mailserver) and I'll try to help out; you
can summarise back to the list if we get it sorted.

Tel +44(0)117 9287163 Fax +44 (0)117 9287112 RFC822 jan.grant@bris.ac.uk
If it's broken really badly - don't fix it either.