Date:      Sun, 4 Aug 2013 19:12:17 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Bryan Venteicher <bryanv@daemoninthecloset.org>
To:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   [CFT] VMware vmxnet3 ethernet driver

Hi,

I've ported the OpenBSD vmxnet3 ethernet driver to FreeBSD. I did a
lot of cleanup, bug fixes, new features, etc (+2000 new lines) along
the way so there is not much of a resemblance left.

The driver is in good enough shape I'd like additional testers. A patch
against -CURRENT is at [1]. Alternatively, the driver and a Makefile is
at [2]; this should compile at least as far back as 9.1. I can look at
8-STABLE if there is interest.

Obviously, besides reports of 'it works', I'm interested performance vs
the emulated e1000, and (for those using it) the VMware tools vmxnet3
driver. Hopefully it is no worse :)

The drivers supports most VMXNET3 features - IPv4/IPv6 checksum offload,
TSO, LRO, VLAN tag offload. AFAIK, the only notable missing feature is
multiqueue; 3/4 of the code needed is already in the driver, but I don't
have time to do final bit of work.

Most of the development was done on QEMU 1.5, but also tested on VMware
Fusion and VMware ESXi.

[1] - http://people.freebsd.org/~bryanv/vmware/if_vmx.patch
[2] - http://people.freebsd.org/~bryanv/vmware/files/