Date:      Wed, 19 Nov 2008 10:57:33 +0100
From:      Pieter de Goeje <pieter@degoeje.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        freebsd@celestial.com, Gary Hartl <ghartl@gmail.com>
Subject:   Re: Running X without a videocard

On Wednesday 19 November 2008, Gary Hartl wrote:
> Whoa this is way beyond me I think...can you direct me to a howto or the
> like.
>
> X11 over SSH good lord....i'm out of touch with *NIX..
> Am i to understand that i could run a pretty nice (not gnome or kde) but
> one of the less intense interfaces over ssh (this is on an internal network
> so connection speed isn't an issue.
>
> 6 years, and I have admin alzheimers'
>
> Thanks

X11 over ssh is as simple as:

workstation-with-X> ssh -Y <headlessbox>
headlessbox> xterm

Or even shorter:
ssh -Y <headlessbox> xterm

To enable X11 over SSH you need to at least have xauth installed on the
headless box (and ofcourse the X program you're trying to run, in my example
xterm).

--
Pieter de Goeje