Date:      Wed, 21 Jan 1998 19:38:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dmitry Kohmanyuk <dk@dog.farm.org>
To:        grog@lemis.com (Greg Lehey)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Why enable routed by default?

In article <19980122102409.39650@lemis.com> you wrote:
> I note that the default setting for FreeBSD installations (as of
> 2.2.5) is still to start routed.  Considering that the vast majority
> of users are on leaf nodes with a single connect to the Net, this
> doesn't make sense, and it frequently causes problems with PPP
> dialups.  Can't we change the default to not starting the daemon?

perhaps so that your carefully crafted route discovery messages would
set up default route on new FreeBSD hosts for you??

(or maybe you feed them RIP default as well??)

other than that, there is no reason... oif you use PPP or DHCP on ethernet,
there is no perceivable need for it.

--
quote of the day: `