Date:      Thu, 16 Oct 2003 16:44:17 -0400
From:      Charles Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        Daniela <dgw@liwest.at>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Porting to FreeBSD

On Thursday, October 16, 2003, at 06:11 PM, Daniela wrote:
> I found many interesting Linux programs on sourceforge.net and other
> sites,
> but they're not in the ports collection. So I thought I'll port some
> of these
> to FreeBSD. However, I'm still pretty new to FreeBSD and I never ported
> anything.

Start here:
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
index.html

> I can't even compile most of the programs on my system, and I'm almost
> sure it
> has to do with dependencies in 99% of all cases.  How do I find out
> what ports/programs it depends on? And yes, I have RTFM, but I still
> have no clue.

Most programs have a README which identifies any dependencies they
might have.  If a Linux package exists for the program (ie, such as an
RPM), you could also look at that to gain an idea as to the
dependencies.   Beyond that, however, the problem lies in the fact that
many people don't write particularly portable code, and you will need
to resolve such issues by patching the program to work under FreeBSD.

--
-Chuck