Date:      Mon, 17 Jul 2000 23:03:51 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@cup.hp.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiple kernels / module search path

On Mon, Jul 17, 2000 at 10:09:44PM -0700, Marcel Moolenaar wrote:
> Question 4: Do we want /modules in the search for kernels with a
> non-zero name so that the search path will be
> /modules.NAME:/modules:/boot:/

I agree with you except here (and you may be able to find a solution
here.)  My problem with not doing this is that ports and third party
software that creates modules (vmware, etc) needs a place to put them,
and currently that's modules.  While you could put them in /boot, that
seems ugly at best.  Otherwise, I like ideas very much.  I've been
wanting to build and install my custom kernel and GENERIC in one fell
swoop since {build|install}kernel was added.

-- Brooks