Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:59:54 +1100 (EST)
From:      Ian Smith <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>
To:        Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil@gmail.com>
Cc:        mav@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd pptp server?

You'll do much better in freebsd-net@ with this.  I've copied Alexander
Motin, current author/maintainer, as he may not be watching questions@.

 > ==============/usr/local/etc/mpd4/mpd.conf============
 > startup:
 > <don't know what to put in here...>

Stuff like configuring the console and/or web interface, logging etc.

 > default:
 > load pptp1

I'm not sure whether leading whitespace on non-label lines is still
required as with ppp.conf, but it can't hurt to follow the examples.

 > pptp1:
 > new -i ng0 pptp1 pptp1
 > set iface disable on-demand
 > set iface enable proxy-arp
 > set iface idle 0
 > set iface enable tcpmssfix
 > set bundle enable multilink
 > set link yes acfcomp protocomp
 > set link no pap chap
 > set link enable chap
 > set link keep-alive 10 60
 > set ipcp yes vjcomp
 > set ipcp ranges 192.168.1.4/32 192.168.1.151/32
 > set ipcp dns 192.168.1.4
 > set ipcp nbns 192.168.1.4
 > set link disable pap
 > set bundle enable compression
 > set ccp yes mppc
 > #set ccp yes mpp-e40
 > set ccp yes mpp-e128
 > set ccp yes mpp-stateless
 > #set bundle enable crypt-reqd
 >
 > ==============/usr/local/etc/mpd4/mpd.linksf============

I assume 'mpd.linksf' is a typo ..

 > pptp1:
 > set link type pptp      ## define the link type protocol as PPTP
 > set pptp self 192.168.1.4        ## define the IP address  on which MPD will run
 > set pptp enable incoming      ## define the connection as Incoming
 > set pptp disable originate     ## enables PPTP connection for communication with the client
 >
 > And then I also have a mpd.secrets file of course.
 >
 > I can start the service, but I don't see any pptp interface after an
 > ifconfig command. And netstat -an does not show any port 1723 listening.
 >
 > Do I need to have a customized kernel to make it work? Or are there any
 > obvious errors in the above configuration?

Can't help with pptp, I only use pppoe, but have posted this to bring it
to Alexander's attention.  He'll most likely want to see some logging ..

cheers, Ian