Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 2002 21:56:57 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        FreeBSD LIST <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: KDE = K.D.E.A.D! (2.2.2 to 3.0.1, cvspass?)

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Giorgos Keramidas wrote:
> PL>  c. `export CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde` doesn't work but `setenv CVSROOT=:pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde` does!
> Neither works.  If you are using a shell that accepts the same syntax as sh(1) the correct way is:
> 	$ CVSROOT=':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde'
> 	$ export CVSROOT

You know what?  In my egocentric view of computing (just kidding) I failed
to realize that when following examples from webpages line-by-line it
doesn't hurt the learning process to first actually run `/bin/sh` then
follow their directions!  Eh?  :)

> but if you are using csh(1) or a similar shell:
> 	% setenv CVSROOT ':pserver:anonymous@anoncvs.kde.org:/home/kde'
> Note the lack of an equal sign (`=') in the second example.
> - Giorgos

Yeah, I use tcsh for a shell (who in their right mind would use sh or csh
instead of bash, ksh, tcsh or one like these) and appreciate your setting
me straight.  By the way, can't cvs or cvsup include this CVSROOT info on
the command line, hence leading to a more general success rate?

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder