Date:      Thu, 9 Sep 2004 13:59:38 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Dan Mahoney, System Admin" <danm@prime.gushi.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   cleaner handling of mount point disappearance

Hey guys,

Assume I have a USB hard drive attached to my machine.

Is there any way to make it so that, in the event the drive is mounted and
disappears (i.e. is unplugged), the system doesn't vomit on itself (i.e.
kernel panic?)

I can deal with the fact that data may not be written cleanly to the
drive, and that the dirty bit will stay set, and I'm contemplating playing
with automount as well, but it won't help the fact that assuming I cd
/backupdrive, leave the system sitting there (i.e. no data writes), and
unplug the drive without a umount, the system will go kerplooey.

Any ideas?

-Dan Mahoney

--

"Hey, call me anything you like.  I'm Dan to my friends, gushi to my
close friends, 'hey, you' to my girlfriend, 'mrrow?' to my cat, and 'why

-Dan Mahoney
  12/2/02