Date:      Wed, 21 Jun 2000 22:19:31 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jason <jason@welsh.dynip.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   natd problem on 4.0 Release

Im running FreeBSD 4.0-RELEASE and am running natd on my server with a
cable modem. this setup has been working fine for over 70 days straight.
All of a sudden I noticed that I no longer had internet connectivity. I
troubleshot the problem to restarting natd which fixed my problem. I then
found out to run the natd with the -dynamic switch so that it can adapt to
my ip address changing.
currently im running it as
/sbin/natd -dynamic -log_denied -interface xl0
but every so often it seems to stop working. natd is still running, but
just not converting/forwarding  packets. I looked in my log and I see this
message over and over.

Jun 21 22:04:08 welsh natd[2864]: read from divert socket failed (Socket
operation on non-socket)
Jun 21 22:04:08 welsh natd[2864]: unexpected packet read from routing
socket (Socket operation on non-socket)
Jun 21 22:04:08 welsh natd[2864]: read from divert socket failed (Socket
operation on non-socket)
Jun 21 22:04:08 welsh natd[2864]: unexpected packet read from routing
socket (Socket operation on non-socket)

it doesnt work again till I kill and restart natd. Anyone have any ideas
why this is?

regards,
Jason

|  Jason Welsh   jason@welsh.dynip.com   |   If you think there's     |
|                                        |   good in everybody, you   |
|      http://welsh.dynip.com/           |   haven't met everybody.   |