Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2000 21:43:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      Adam <bsdx@looksharp.net>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        aunty <aunty@comcen.com.au>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Strange UDP messages

>> OK, so it's biff. Now how do I stop it, or see what it's coming from,
>> or see any other evidence of it at all?
>
>Good question.  Are you using sendmail?  Or maybe it's mail.local
>that's doing this.
>
>> And why didn't it happen before the machine mysteriously rebooted
>> itself this morning?  (This is 3.3-RELEASE with comsat disabled in
>> /etc/inetd.conf)
>
>Well, that's the reason.  Disable comsat, and you won't be able to
>connect.

I get these too and since I have comsat disabled I'd like to stop whatever
it is from trying to notifying comsat :) Pretty annoying..

>> Again, I can't see evidence in the logs of this happening before this
>> morning's reboot. I did have 'nameserver 127.0.0.1' in
>> /etc/resolv.conf. Removing that line and sending a SIGHUP to named
>> didn't affect the error messages.
>
>No, this is named trying to contact your system.  Again, I'm puzzled
>as to why.  On the whole, this is pretty harmless stuff; about the
>biggest problem is that you might fill up your log file.  You should
>be able to turn these messages off with

The only thing I can think of is timed out replies where the port
listening for an answer has already closed, and by the time the named
tries to answer it ends up talking to a wall.