Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2007 12:18:59 -0700
From:      Chuck Swiger <cswiger@mac.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de
Subject:   Re: ntpd just sits there and does nothing

On Jul 23, 2007, at 7:10 AM, Oliver Fromme wrote:
> [LoN]Kamikaze <LoN_Kamikaze@gmx.de> wrote:
>> server 0.de.pool.ntp.org minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server 1.de.pool.ntp.org minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server 2.de.pool.ntp.org minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server ntp1.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server ntp2.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server ntp3.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>> server ntp4.rz.uni-karlsruhe.de minpoll 4 maxpoll 8
>>
>> restrict default ignore
>> restrict 127.0.0.1
>
> You need to add proper restrict lines for the servers,
> of course.  Basically you have configured ntpd to
> ignore all servers.
>
> Also, putting "minpoll 4 maxpoll 8" on all servers is
> somewhat suboptimal and puts an unnecessary burden on the
> servers and networks without reason.  I recommend to use
> low polling intervals and the iburst option for one or
> two local servers only (e.g. for NTP servers located in
> your direct upstream or at your ISP), and higher polling
> intervals for other public servers.

I wish to second what Oliver has said, only more strongly: using
"minpoll 4" is considered abusive and a misuse of the NTP pool.  From
http://www.pool.ntp.org/use.html

"Be friendly.  Many servers are provided by volunteers, and almost
all time servers are really file or mail or webservers which just
happen to also run ntp.  So don't use more than three time servers in
your configuration, and don't play dirty tricks with burst or minpoll
- all you will gain is that this project will be stopped sooner or
later."

No machine should ever poll faster than once a minute (aka "minpoll
8") to someone else's timeserver without prior agreement.  For an
example of a reasonable client config, MacOS X uses a minpoll of 12
and a maxpoll of 17.

--
-Chuck