Date:      Tue, 28 Feb 2006 16:53:37 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        Nikolas Britton <nikolas.britton@gmail.com>
Cc:        Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: release tag for ports

On Tue, Feb 28, 2006 at 09:10:15AM -0600, Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 2/28/06, Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@wdc.com> wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Another FreeBSD Newbie question pertaining to ports.
> >
> > based on the example ports-supfile
> > in /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ports-supfile
> >
> > [snip]
> > *default release=cvs tag=.
> > [/snip]
> >
> > What I would like to know if there are any other versions of the ports.
> > meaning, say eg: programA, there is version 1.0, 1.0.2, 1.1 etc..
> >
> > Is there such thing as RELENG_6 RELENG_6_1 or something like this? Or is
> > there only going to be 1 and only 1 version of ports? (I think there
> > _is_ an option, only that I don't know. I've searched through the
> > handbook, but I've only found references to the example ports-supfile
> > with the "tag=.")
> >
> > let's take gnome as an example, there's version 2.10/2.12/2.13 etc. Do
> > I,the user, have a choice to be able to upgrade to any of the 3 versions
> > as I see fit?
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > I'll google it up when I get home to an I-net connection.
> >
> > --
> > Ow Mun Heng
> > Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
> > 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
> > Neuromancer 16:44:52 up 3 days, 19:21, 5 users, load average: 0.54,
> > 0.53, 0.50
> >

> Short version, No.
> Ports, docs, etc. do not have -RELEASE tags, when you cvsup ports you
> always get what would be the equivalent of cvsup'ing you system up
> with -CURRENT, hence the dot for the release tag.  You can however
> cvsup to a specific date and time in the passed if you use something
> like this "*default date=2005.10.25.00.00.00", all the zero's are for
> time (GMT, 24 hour clock).

Actually ports and docs *are* tagged (but not branched) for releases.
The release tags for ports are on the form RELEASE_X_Y_Z, so the to get
the ports tree that shipped with 5.4-RELEASE you would use RELEASE_5_4_0

The ports tree is not branched however, so the tags only mark the ports tree
as it was at one particular point in time.

If there are multiple versions of a program out in the wild, then normally
only the latest (reasonably stable) version will be in the ports tree, but
there are cases were several version live side by side in ports tree
(usually because the different versions of the program are not compatible,
and some programs depend on one version, while some depend on another.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson