Date:      Wed, 27 Oct 2004 01:33:20 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        <TM4525@aol.com>, <micheal@tsgincorporated.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

Do you know how many new customers the ISP I work at has signed up over the
years who have had preexisting Exchange servers that were open relays?

ALL of them who had exchange servers were open!

Of course, we liked this, because several times the new customers came
to us bitching about our competitors who had "the slowest Internet
connection in the world"

Needless to say, scanning for an open relays on IP addresses we assign
to a new customer is SOP for us - we nip this in the bud right away.

And to top it off, once fixed, most of them still don't even make the
connection that their former ISP's internet connection wasn't the problem,
it was the hundred thousand spams a day they were sending out that was
making the connection slow.

So much for "most windows techs"

You may not, but I would consider that PROPERLY setting up a mailserver
is something that 'most windows techs' should be required to do who
choose to go buy exchange or whatever mailserver, and set it up.

Ted