Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2008 11:34:21 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Alexander Motin <mav@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Multiple netgraph threads

On Sun, 30 Mar 2008, Alexander Motin wrote:

> I have implemented a patch (for the HEAD) making netgraph to use several own
> threads for event queues processing instead of using single swinet. It
> should significantly improve netgraph SMP scalability on complicated
> workloads that require queueing by implementation (PPTP/L2TP) or stack size
> limitations. It works perfectly on my UP system, showing results close to
> original or even a bit better. I have no real SMP test server to measure
> real scalability, but test on HTT CPU works fine, utilizing both virtual
> cores at the predictable level. Reviews and feedbacks are welcome. URL:
> http://people.freebsd.org/~mav/netgraph.threads.patch

FYI, you might be interested in some similar work I've been doing in the
rwatson_netisr branch in Perforce, which:

(1) Adds per-CPU netisr threads
(2) Introduces inpcb affinity, assigned using a hash on the tuple (similar to
     RSS) to load balance
(3) Moves to rwlock use on inpcb and pcbinfo, used extensively in UDP and
     somewhat in TCP

My initial leaning would be that we would like to avoid adding too many more
threads that will do per-packet work, as that leads to excessive context
switching.  I have similar worries regarding ithreads, and I suspect (hope?)
we will have an active discussion of this at the BSDCan developer summit.

BTW, I'd be careful with the term "should" and SMP -- often times scalability
to multiple cores involves not just introducing the opportunity for
parallelism, but also significantly refining or changing the data model to
allow that parallelism to be efficiently used.  Right now, despite loopback
performance being a bottleneck with a single netisr thread, we're not seeing a
performance improvement for database workloads over loopback with multiple
netisr threads.  We're diagnosing this still -- initially it appeared to be
tcbinfo lock contention (not surprising), but moving to read locking on
tcbinfo didn't appear to help (except in reducing contention leading to more
idle time rather than more progress).  The current theory is that something
about the approach isn't working well with the scheduler but we need to
analyze the scheduler traces further.  My recommendation would be that you do
a fairly thorough performance evaluation before committing.

Robert N M Watson
Computer Laboratory
University of Cambridge