Date:      Thu, 28 May 1998 19:06:13 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Guillermo Gonzalez <guigonza@cantv.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Help...with popper

Guillermo Gonzalez writes:
> Hi, my name is Guillermo
> I'm trying to setting a popper in a server with FreeBSD 2.2.2
> now it's functioning but i see amessage:
> " can't get a cannonical name of the client"
> What does it means ?

It means the machine which is popping email is not in DNS or /etc/hosts.

> How can i solve this ?

Add the IP address of the remote host(s) to DNS, /etc/hosts, or hack
the offending message out of popper.

There is one other way, syslogd can be instructed to ignore this class
of popper messages. There might be other messages of interest. So if
only this one (right now) is causing problems its easiest to delete it
in the source code and leave any other possible messages enabled

% su
# cd /usr/ports/mail/popper
# make patch
# cd work/qpopper2.41beta1
# grep -i canonical *.c
pop_init.c:    /*  Get the canonical name of the host to whom I am speaking */
pop_init.c:            "(v%s) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = %d",
# vi pop_init.c

    /*  Get the canonical name of the host to whom I am speaking */
    ch = gethostbyaddr((char *) &cs.sin_addr, sizeof(cs.sin_addr), AF_INET);
    if (ch == NULL){
#ifdef CANONICAL_BELLYACHE
        pop_log(p,POP_PRIORITY,
            "(v%s) Unable to get canonical name of client, err = %d",
            VERSION, errno);
#endif
        p->client = p->ipaddr;
    }

Add the #ifdef/#endif shown above. Don't worry about
CANONICAL_BELLYACHE, just chose something thats not defined.

# pwd
/usr/ports/mail/popper
# pkg_delete qpopper-2.41b1
# make install