Date:      Sun, 02 Feb 1997 22:37:56 -0500
From:      Igor J Barani <ijbarani@syr.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Operating System and Compatibility

To Whom It May Concern:

I recently came across somebody who recommended FreeBSD as an
alternative to Linux and some other operating systems.  I am presently
involved in several projects dealing with molecular modeling of various
chemical systems and I am interested in running VMD from University of
Illinois on the new operating system whether FreeBSD or Linux.  I have
several questions.  First, what are the advantages of FreeBSD over
Linux?  Second, what programs whether commercial or shareware or
freeware are compatible with FreeBSD?  For example, can I run SunOS
native programs on FreeBSD?  Irix? HP-Ux?  Thirdly, does FreeBSD support
OpenGL or GL libraries?

I would greatly appreciate your help on above questions.  Thank you for
your help and understanding.

Sincerely,
Igor Barani