Date:      Thu, 2 Aug 2007 13:04:17 +0200
From:      Zbigniew Szalbot <zbigniew@szalbot.homedns.org>
To:        Freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   getting fair share of CPU for processes

Hello,

I am looking for advice but maybe this question really belongs to
spamassassin user list. Anyway, by observing load on my FreeBSD machine I
have found that at certain times it gets really high (between 14-17). When
I get such load my machine is quite busy sending thousands of emails. This
in itself is OK because load is rarely over 1 but then I get a few more
incoming emails and spamd, while checking them, bumps up the load to 14 or
more. Such increased load usually does not take longer than 1-2 minutes.
And I have configured exim to ease up on its work when the load gets so
high (first it tempfails incoming messages, then when situation becomes
worse it only queues outgoing ones).

So I am wondering it it is OK for me to limit the spamd user to how much
CPU power it can get? I saw in the Handbook that it is possible to limit
resources per user. Do you think it is a good thing to do? Will I be better
off limiting spamd user or will it make the situation worse because SA
will/may choke? Many thanks for any advice you can give me. I really
appreciate it!

--
 Zbigniew Szalbot