Date:      Thu, 23 Apr 1998 21:30:37 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Dave  Bender <bendede@startribune.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Recognizing SoundBlaster CD-ROM

On Thu, 23 Apr 1998, Dave  Bender wrote:

> I'm having trouble getting FreeBSD installed. The OS doesn't seem to
> recognize the CD-ROM, which I had hoped to use and, in fact, install
> from.
>
> I have an older SoundBlaster (Creative Labs) CD-ROM. I'm choosing the
> Matsushita/Panasonic/Creative CDROM option in the installation
> configuration program and I'm changing the PORT address to 220.
>
> Am I missing something obvious, or is this not a supported CD ROM?

Are you certain that the drive is Matsuhita? Why did you "choose"
Matsushita?

Run the boot disc one time and read the messages as it boots. If dmesg
tells you it found a cdrom on wdc0 (or 1) then this drive is ATAPI. Make
note of what dmesg tells you about your cdrom when your system boots.

If the drive says ATAPI or IDE any where on it, or is connected to your
IDE port, then you need ATAPI support. Read the LINT file mentioned
below.

If the drive is in fact Matshushita then read '/usr/sys/i386/conf/LINT'
for how to include this support in your kernel. The kernel requires a
specific driver for Matsuhita drive.

Have fun,	 | Stop warning me about the latest virus. Learn more...
Jason Wells	 | http://ciac.llnl.gov/ciac/CIACHoaxes.html