Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 2004 01:46:36 -0600
From:      "James R. Van Artsalen" <james@jrv.org>
To:        freebsd-ia64@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install FreeBSD/ia64 on HP zx6000?

Is there a step-by-step instruction list on getting FreeBSD/ia64
installed on an HP zx6000?

I burned a 5.2.1 miniinst ISO date 2/25 and managed to coax EFI into
booting it.  The CDROM drive is not detected by the kernel, FTP over
proxy gets a SIGSEGV, so I used NFS.

Most install attempts failed with "device full" errors.  I finally
manually used an 8 GB /, a 5 GB swap and the rest as /usr (theory is
somehow /usr is never being mounted: /etc/fstab error?).  There is an
EFI partition, probably pre-existing, and I left it alone.  This time no
errors during install.

Now what?  EFI seems generally clueless about booting so I assume I have
to manually boot the kernel.  What do I do to get EFI to load FreeBSD?

The disk is a 36GB disk that probably had Windows on it before.  There
may still be Microsoft contaminants in the EFI partition for all I know.