Date:      Fri, 29 Nov 2002 00:48:49 +0100
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: missing: usr.bin/rdist - used: ports/net/rdist6

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 28, 2002 at 07:22:16PM +0100, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > 5.0-DP2 (unlike 4.7) has no src/usr.bin/rdist - just ports/net/rdist6
> >=20
> > rdist6 is supposed to be better, but no rdist after basic install is a pa=
> in.
> >=20
> > Has this been well debated already ? or should I file a Send-PR ?
>
> It was moved to the 44bsd-rdist port, because it's not particularly
> useful thesedays in the fact of better tools like rsync.

Thanks Kris,

- But Rsync (1.5M) is also not in src/ !
- Rdist(1) is in the 4.3 UCB blue ring bound URM manual.  Principle
  of least suprise could have left it.  Rdist is more generic on
  older Unixes, which often have no rdist6 or rsync.
- Does src/ have anything protocol compatible with most
  other older &/or commercial Unix bases ?
- 4.3 UCB URM does not even list man fortune(1) yet 5.0-DP2
  src/games/fortune bloats 3735K.  ports/net/44bsd-rdist takes 297K,
  4.7 src/usr.bin/rdist is just 114K.
- Please consider restoring rdist to FreeBSD.  Thanks.

Julian Stacey
jhs @ berklix.com   Computer Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
   Ihr Rauchen = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !  Schnupftabak probieren.
   European BSD Conference, Munich Pre-Planning  http://berklix.org/conf/