Date:      Thu, 13 Dec 2007 21:42:25 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?G=F6ran?= Nilsson <goran.nilsson@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Promise SuperTrak EX12350 don't get detected under FreeBSD 6.2

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:39:21PM +0100, G=F6ran Nilsson wrote:
> I have come a bit further. It seems that if I create a 2TB drive it all g=
oes
> good. But it doesn't seems to work when doing a large 5TB drive.
> Is there some limitations on fdisk, and the size on partitions? Can't it
> exceed 2TB? The machine is a ordinary Core 2 duo 6750 with 4GB of ram.

Yes, I believe fdisk and bsdlabel both have a limitation at 2TB.

If you partition the disk using GPT instead it should work with large disks.
Unfortunately I don't think sysinstall supports GPT, and most BIOS do
support booting from a GPT partitioned disk, so the boot volume needs
to be smaller than 2TB.

>=20
> /Regards Goran
>=20
> On Dec 13, 2007 5:39 PM, G=F6ran Nilsson <goran.nilsson@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
> > On the controller there it says that it supports freebsd 6.1. And yes
> > there is documentation on how to install freebsd 6.1 on the raid.
> > But for now i have installed freebsd on a RAID1 system, and i have prob=
lem
> > getting the card detcted, i run a 5TB RAID 6 on this card.
> > Didn't thought that it could be that much differens between version 6.1=
and
> > 6.2. Gonna try to reinstall. After the reinstall i got the card up and
> > running. I see it get detected and it all looks ok. I go in and do a fd=
isk
> > on the drive and label/mount it. I do all this in sysinstall.
> > I can see that the drive is 4648GB so it all looks ok with the RAID 6
> > Drive.
> > When i later quit sysinstall and check the mounts i see that the drive
> > space is 532GB and available space is 500GB. This looks totally wrong. =
Is
> > there any limitations that im not aware of?
> >
> > /Goran

> > > FreeBSD 6.2.
> > > but
> > > running,

> > > What makes you think this card is supported by FreeBSD 6.1?
> > >
> > > As far as I can tell there is no driver for that card included with a=
ny
> > > FreeBSD release.  If it was supported the driver would have been
> > > included in
> > > GENERIC kernel, and if was supported in 6.1 it would have been in 6.2=
also.

> > > It is quite possible however that Promise provides their own FreeBSD
> > > driver
> > > for that card.  If that is the case you should ask Promise which
> > > version(s)
> > > of FreeBSD the driver supports and how to install it - or read their
> > > documentation where such information can likely be found.

--=20
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson
ertr1013@student.uu.se