Date:      Mon, 29 Nov 1999 20:40:44 +0800 (WST)
From:      Dean Hollister <dean@odyssey.apana.org.au>
To:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 3.x problems

On Mon, 29 Nov 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:

> Um... So you first upgraded from source and then from CDROM?  The CDROM
> installation would have taken care of updating /etc for you but the
> source upgrade would not have.

/etc wasn't the problem there. In the upgrade case, it refused to boot at
all, claiming the root filesystem went beyond cylinder 1024 and is not
bootable. Weird, 2.2.8 doesn't display that behaviour. :-(

> I believe a batch of CD's went out which wouldn't boot on ATAPI CDROM
> drives.  The release notes for 3.3-RELEASE discuss this at:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/releases/3.3R/errata.html

Yes, this would be the exact problem. That URL does go onto say that
Walnut Creek will replace them. So, I'll contact them directly...

> I note that you didn't send any more detailed error messages.  I know
> that your one problem (the compat22 distribution issue) may well have
> caused other problems, which is why I asked for more context for the
> error messages.
>
> Obviously, if that one issue solved your other problems, then there's
> nothing more to discuss.  So are you up and running? :-)

Yes, thanks. :-)

I now have 3.2 running, and more importantly, running the packages I need.
:-)

Many thanks.

Regards,

d.