Date:      Thu, 21 May 1998 02:16:37 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>
To:        grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: questions about developing an mpeg3 database and interface

According to grady@scam.XCF.Berkeley.EDU:
> Inspired by the 8hz mpeg3 encoder, I've started encoding my CDs.  Ultimately,
> it would be cool to have all the CDs on file, with a database describing
> them, and a GUI to choose by title, style, etc.  For the moment,

Maybe just do something that you could use with the xmcd (www.cddb.com)
player's CD database, but use it for mp3s instead of actual CDs?
That would mean you just do something like pack your CDs songs in a dir
and have an ID file in there with mp3s:

mp3_1/
mp3_1/.CD-ID.data
mp3_1/track1.mp3
mp3_1/track2.mp3
mp3_1/track3.mp3
mp3_1/track4.mp3
mp3_1/track5.mp3

And the data file would contain some stuff ripped off the CD. So you'd just
make a small app that fontended mpg123/splay/whatever and used the .data
file to access the cddb database and get the CD's name, and all the tracks,
etc. That should be pretty easy, and the most cool solution. Specially if
you had a small caching function in your program, so that it saved the info
it had looked up in .CD-INFO.data or something, instead of looking it up
in the database all the time.

  /Mikael