Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 2002 19:52:08 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@schneiders.org>
To:        Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
Cc:        Grant Cooper <grant.cooper@nucleus.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Bind vs free dns providers

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, at 09:14 [=GMT+0100], Matthew Seaman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 01:01:24AM -0600, Grant Cooper wrote:

> > I've been reading on dns packages specifically Bind from ports. I am
> > currently using zoneedit to point to me but I would like to do this myself.
> > I only have 1 IP and I was told by my provider I HAVE to have 2.

[...]

> However, if you want to run a server that is authoritative for one or
> more domains then the requirements are a bit more stringent.  In order
> to register a domain with one of the various registries around the net
> you need to have at least two servers carrying your zone data

Some registries for country code domains (which have the
two-letter end, like .fr, .de, .us) do require this. To register a
com/net/org domain you need _no_ nameservers. Of course you cannot
use it then.

> and
> those should a) have fixed IP addresses and b) be hosted on distinct
> networks

The being hosted on different networks is a good idea. I am curious
which Top Level Domain demands this. For com/net/org/info/biz/us and
most other country codes it is not necessary.

[...]