Date:      Wed, 19 Jul 2000 21:42:55 -0400
From:      John <papalia@udel.edu>
To:        "Dan O'Connor" <dan@mostgraveconcern.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Mike" <mike@mikesweb.com>
Subject:   Re: 2.2.x to 4.0

> >What is the best way to upgrade a server from 2.2.6-RELEASE to 4.0-STABLE?
> >It has a SCSI hdd, and I've read that the drive names go from sd to da
> >after the 2's.. Any help is appreciated..
>
>There was quite a big leap from 2.2.x to 3.0 and another, although not quite
>as big, leap from 3.x to 4.0.
>
>I've heard one way is to upgrade to 3.5-STABLE, then upgrade again to
>4.0-STABLE (soon to be 4.1). Rumour has it 2.2.x to 4.0 direct isn't
>feasible.
>
>Personally, I'd back up all my data, make note of all my server configs, and
>install 4.0 from scratch...

Really depends on how masochistic you are :)  I've gone from 2.2.6 to
4.x-stable, but over time...  From what I recall doing (and being told I
"had to" do), you'd need to:

2.2.6-->2.2.8 (is this step *really* necessary though?)
2.2.8-->3.0
3.0-->3.4 aout-to-elf
3.4-->4.x

That's about what it's been in the past year?

Knowing the amount of time it took for the make worlds, and especially the
aout-to-elf conversion, I strongly second the back-up-and-wipe method :)

Good luck,
john