Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 10:32:24 -0400
From:      Pat Young <xdice@mindspring.net>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange install error.

'morning..

While trying to install 3.1-RELEASE over the last two days, my efforts
have met with this error, every time:

anic: ffs_alloccg: map corrupted
syncing disks: 208 208 158 104 4 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 2 giving up
(da1:ahc0:0:4:0) . CDB: 35 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da1:ahc0:0:4:0) error code 0
Automatic reboot in 15 seconds..

I got this error the first time while installing this at work, over
ethernet - so I went out and bought a FreeBSD 3.1 cd-rom yesterday.  I get
the same error when I install off that, too.

The system is a K6-2, running at 333 mhz, an Adaptec 2940 UW
controller, with a 9.1gig Quantum Atlas II UW drive as the drive I'm
trying to install to.  There is also a 1 gig Quantum Fireball on the
chain, but I've set it up as /home previously, so I just add it's
disklabel, without a newfs on it.

I originally thought perhaps this was coming up because I wanted a large
(7.2 gig) /usr partition.  So, the last time, I sliced it up such that
/usr was only 4 gigs.  Still got the same error.

I then used the controll to low level the drive, and do a media verify.  I
then tried to reinstall.  Same error.

So - I put the drive back in that I'd pulled to fit the 9 gig in, and here
I am. :-)  Any ideas/advice would be hugely appreciated.

-Pat

"One World, One Web, One Program." - Microsoft Promotional Ad
"Ein Volk, Ein Reich, Ein Führer" - Adolf Hitler