Date:      Thu, 2 Dec 1999 16:08:40 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        "Eric S. Nooden" <noodene@beloit.edu>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mounting a SCSI tape drive

On Thursday,  2 December 1999 at 14:13:05 -0600, Eric S. Nooden wrote:
> I am running into some problems trying to mount a tape drive.  When I run:
>
> mt -f /dev/nrsa0 rewind   (or any command i.e. status)
>
> I get the following error message:
>
> (sa0:ahc0:0:4:0): MODE SENSE(06).  CDB:  1a 0 0 0 c 0
> (sa0:ahc0:0:4:0): ILLEGAL REQUEST
>
> ***I did notice that when the command ran, the light on the tape drive did
> flash.
>
> The file /var/log/messages reports the following about sa0:
>
> sa0: at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
> sa0: <EXABYTE EXB-8200 2680> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
> sa0: 3.300MB/s transfers
>
> Any help in mounting this beast and get backups done would be
> appreciated.

FWIW, I have just inherited two 8200s, and I'm getting exactly the
same problem.  It appears to be related to the drive; I have two
drives on the machine at the moment:

sa0 at ahc0 bus 0 target 4 lun 0
sa0: <AIWA GD-8000 0119> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-2 device
sa0: 10.000MB/s transfers (10.000MHz, offset 7)
sa1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa1: <EXABYTE EXB-8200 254A> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
sa1: 3.300MB/s transfers

The other drive has the same code as your drive:

sa1 at ahc0 bus 0 target 5 lun 0
sa1: <EXABYTE EXB-8200 2680> Removable Sequential Access SCSI-CCS device
sa1: 3.300MB/s transfers

The AIWA drive (DDS) works fine.  Any command I send to the Exabyte
does the same thing.  I don't have the SCSI spec handy, but I'd guess
that:

1.  There's nothing very wrong with yout tape drive.  It's a quirk
    (it's not understanding a relatively simple command)

2.  It can be fixed.  Since I now have two of these drives, you can
    expect it not to take too long, but I'm not making any promises.

Greg