Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 2008 18:08:09 -0600
From:      "Marauder" <marauder@pi.avalonnetworks.us>
To:        <freebsd-embedded@freebsd.org>
Subject:   DMA to ATA drive failure

Hi,

I have a system that needs to directly access the local storage device in =
are machine (In this case it is a ATA hard disk). To do that we are use =
code similar to this

storageFD =3D open("/dev/ad4", O_RDWR);
if (write(storageFD, configBlock, 512) =3D=3D -1) {
   cout << "Error" << endl;
}

We currently make sure we are writing to the disk in full sector sizes =
(512 in this case) and im sure we have the disk open for write.

But for some reason on some machines that we do this on we get the =
following error displayed from the kernel. "Aligned DMA transfer attempted.=
 ad4: Setting up DMA failed" We have tried adding "SET hw.ata.ata_dma=3D0" =
in are loader.rc file with no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanx