Date:      Fri, 02 Nov 2001 12:36:58 -0800
From:      Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>
To:        Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCTP and multiple default routes

Randall Stewart wrote:

> I am working on a SCTP implementation for KAME and
> have a question/issue with routing entries in
> the current freebsd kernel (4.x stream).

> What would be nice is to have multiple default routes
> and then have the ability to be able to do a:

I'm not sure multiple default routes make sense. The default route is
the one you use if no other route matches a destination. If you allow
multiple "defaults", how do you pick which one to use for a given
packet? You need a whole new mechanism to choose among default routes.
Why not simply use host routes?

Disclaimer: I may be biased here, because I think implementing
multi-homing at the transport layer (like SCTP tries to) is a bad idea
in general. It's a network layer concept, reimplementing it at the
transport layer gives you no new capabilities.

Lars
--
Lars Eggert <larse@isi.edu>               Information Sciences Institute
http://www.isi.edu/larse/              University of Southern California