Date:      Mon, 24 May 1999 23:11:46 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "David Schwartz" <davids@webmaster.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [Q] How stable is FreeBSD 3.X ?

> 	Have you stopped to consider that users may just want to _use_ FreeBSD
> without having to follow the development? Have you considered that bad
> releases affect them? This is yet another piece of the 'Open Source' versus
> 'company supported' puzzle.

Users are welcome, if not encouraged to "use" FreeBSD.  However, they
need to understand how the development process works, and particularly
they need to avoid irritating the developers by complaining about
things that a) have been fixed already, and b) could not be fixed with
the information supplied.

FreeBSD is not a "shrinkwrap" product, and I don't think that any of us
pretend otherwise.  If a user is naively expecting something different
then they are in dire need of some reality adjustment, and bringing them
up short when they start with the public histrionics is probably more of
a service than an affront.

Speaking from a developer's viewpoint; if a complaint from any quarter
doesn't contain the bare minimum of real information needed to identify
the problem (or at least problem class) it's worthless.  In fact, it's
worse than worthless, it's an active waste of my time even thinking
about it.

--
\\  The mind's the standard       \\  Mike Smith
\\  of the man.                   \\  msmith@freebsd.org