Date:      Thu, 26 Apr 2001 12:58:52 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        Jeffrey Auerbach <jeff@auerbach.org>
Cc:        freebsd-atm@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ilmid and NSAP

On Thu, 26 Apr 2001, Jeffrey Auerbach wrote:

> Hello
> I've got a FORE PCA-200E OC-3 PCI card running on 4.2.  The card is active
> but I'm having a problem getting an address for the card even after ilmid
> starts.
> When doing an 'atm show interface' I get:
>
> hfa0	UNI3.1	ADR_WAIT
>      ATM address: -
>      Network interfaces: atm0

What switch is the card connected to?  The stock ilmid works fine with
Fore, but has trouble with a couple of others.

> Maybe ilmid is having a hard time setting the prefix?

You can try "ilmid -d 9 -f" to see what it is sending and receiving.
Normally, you will see a flurry of messages for a few seconds, then
a few every now and them.  If you see only a couple every few moments,
your switch may not be listening.  If you see lots of messages that
never stop, your switch or HARP may not understand something, and
keeps resetting the ilmid session.

> How would I set the prefix manually?  Where would I find the NSAP
> address?

To set it manually, "set prefix hfa0 <prefix>".  Your switch should have
some way of showing (or setting) the NSAP prefix.

All the best,

-Richard