Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 14:51:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jonathon McKitrick <jcm@dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'set server' permissions in ppp

I hate to ask this again, but it's really bugging me.  SInce no one
has offered an explanation yet, i'll try rephrasing the question.

I wanted to set up ppp so i can start it and stop it with alias or
shell commands rather than keeping an xterm or console open with ppp
running.  So, it was suggested to use the 'set server' command in my
ppp.linkup script to create an 'internet' entry in /var somewhere (i
forget where exactly, sorry).  Then, my alias 'poff' calls pppctl to
close that connection.

However, i now have to run ppp itself as root, whereas i didn't have
to before.  One thing i have learned here is to do as much as possible
in my user account, which is a member of wheel and network groups.
But 'set server' fails because bind only accepts the command under
root (as of right now).  How can i fix this?  I want to log in by my
user accout, type 'pon' to start ppp, and then 'poff' from any
location to kill it.

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around, does anybody
care?