Date:      Thu, 15 Jan 1998 13:44:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Das Devaraj <das@netcom.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Is FreeBSD UNIX?

(This is _reluctantly_ sent to freeBSD-isp also, in case the
 commercial folks - ISPs - see it in a different light).

Can I _legally_ claim that my box running FreeBSD is UNIX?
Or should it phrased that the OS is a _UNIX clone_.  Note that
this has nothing to do with the actual power of FreeBSD.  What
happened after the UNIX name was bought from AT&T by Novell (is
it public domain now?)

Also is there a minimum set of functionality that needs to be
supported before something is considered UNIX or even a UNIX clone?
Have heard terms like UNIX 95, X/Open branding etc. tossed around.

das
Interested in Vegetarianism?             Vegetarian Restaurant Trek
Web    http://www.VegInfo.com                712 Bancroft Road #320
e-mail info@VegInfo.com (subject Help)       Walnut Creek, CA 94598
Interactive Voice/fax Response  (510) 256-8420                  USA