Date:      Fri, 18 Apr 1997 12:15:38 -0400
From:      dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
To:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Price of FreeBSD (was On Holy Wars...)

At 09:22 AM 4/18/97 -0600, Nate Williams wrote:
>> Why is this "annoucement" such a big secret? Are you just not sure
>> yet? You complain about no commercial vendors not being interested in
>> FreeBSD, and then you give us this horsecrap about "wait 90 days for
>> the big unveiling..."
>
>You've obviously never dealt with other commercial vendors before.
>Right now as we speak my company is waiting with baited breath for two
>companies (Symantec and IONA) to release their next products, which are
>*critical* to our future success, since the # of bugs and missing
>features in the current crop make it useless for long-term success.  All
>attempts to let us know *IF* our bugs are fixed, whether or not new
>features that exist in other vendors products, and anything that will
>help us to make decisions are not told.
>
>This is *common* with all organizations, at least with FreeBSD you get
>*hints* as to what's coming down the pike by looking at commit messages,
>with commercial companies you cross your fingers and hope for the best.

Freebsd is *not* a commercial company and there is no benefit to secrecy.
Why does a "free" OS have secrets? And this is not about fixing bugs,
believe me I understand about bugs, its about having to reengineer
freebsd based systems every couple of months.....

I'm just getting tired of getting hit in the nuts for not supporting
-current....the fact that the release is out of date a week after its
out is a very bad thing and really needs to change...

Dennis