Date:      Sun, 28 Oct 2001 22:51:13 +0100
From:      "Leif Neland" <leifn@neland.dk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   rdist, ssh, "stdin: is not a tty"

I'm trying to replicate some webservers to a backup-disk. with rdist
over ssh.

For some strange reason the backup-server says "stdin: is not a tty",
when I execute a command like "ssh backupserver df", but it executes
the command anyway. The backup server is a debian.

If I do "rdist -P /usr/bin/ssh -c /usr backupserver:/backup/srv1/usr"
from a FreeBSD, I also get "stdin: is not a tty", but the command
executes as expected.

If I do the same from a redhat, where I have compiled ssh and rdist
myself, I get "LOCAL ERROR: Unexpected response: stdin: is not a tty"
and rdist terminates.

What causes the difference in behaviour? the redhat and freebsd has
the same rdist: 6.1.15, and the freebsd-patches does not seem to have
anything to do with this.

Could it be that remote stderr gets sent to freebsd's stderr, and
therefore not seen by rdist, while redhat gets remote stderr to local
stdin?

I have tried modifying rdist to ignore that, but my coding skills are
too rusty.

Leif