Date:      Sun, 9 Apr 2006 17:25:55 -0400
From:      "Matt" <matt@successfulhosting.com>
To:        "'Jack Vogel'" <jfvogel@gmail.com>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: IPMI During Boot

Hello,

To bring a little bit of closure to this issue, I'd thought I'd share my
workaround since it doesn't seem the driver will be fixed anytime soon (if
it is a driver issue?).

Basically,

1) Recompile the kernel WITHOUT the "device em" line.  Make sure the if_em
module compiles though (which will be done unless you've specified
MODULE_OVERRIDE somewhere).

2) Edit /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/rc.conf.local or otherwise) to include:
network_interfaces="lo0 em0 em1"  (Plus any other interfaces you may have)

This effectively moves the driver loading to when the ifconfig em0 statemnet
is called, which is when the IP is added.  Setup properly, IPMI will
function through single user mode, FSCK, etc and the complete boot sequence.

Tested with 6.1-PRERELEASE.  I'm not sure of how ifconfig or the netif
startup script acts in other versions.  Worst case - if the device driver
isn't loaded, then IPMI should still work ;)

- Matt