Date:      Thu, 01 Dec 2011 12:19:15 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   mount_smbfs re-exported via samba not working

Hi,

I am trying to export a series of shares from one Windows XP box, to another so I can better control and log access and am having problems seeing the files. I am not sure if this is a samba issue or an mount_smbfs issue

The setup is

[XP-Server] -------- [FreeBSD]------[DMZ Clients]

So FreeBSD box mount_smbfs from [XP-Server], servs up the share under samab so that the DMZ clients can see it.

I can mount the windows XP file system shares no problem
eg

 mount_smbfs -c u -d 777 -f 777 -O xpuser:xpuser -N //xpuser@xpserver/pricelist /export

This shows up, and I can see and create files no problem from the FreeBSD box

# mount -t smbfs
//XPUSER@XPSERVER/PRICELIST on /export (smbfs)

# ls -l /export
total 17
drwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  - 16384 Dec 31  1969 .
drwxrwxrwx  7 xpuser  xpuser  -   512 Dec  1 08:04 ..
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -    95 Dec  1 10:29 dd
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -    92 Dec  1 10:58 n
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -    92 Dec  1 10:33 new
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -    95 Dec  1 10:29 test
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -   436 Dec  1 10:34 test2
-rwxrwxrwx  1 xpuser  xpuser  -    15 Dec  1 10:22 this-is-a-test.txt

Now the problem is when I try and re-export that using samba. The files never show up on the windows PC. e.g on the other PC attached to the DMZ NIC of the FreeBSD server, I try and do something like

net use m: \\192.168.1.1\pl /user:someothersmbuser

I can map the drive, but doing a dir shows no files.  if I do something like dir > test, it does actually create the file, but I still cannot see it

If I use smbclient from another FreeBSD box, also in the DMZ

%smbclient  -U somesmbuser //192.168.1.1/pl

Enter somesmbuser's password:
Domain=[DMZ] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 3.6.1]
smb: \> dir
NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE listing \*

But... I can actually read the files that I know are there and make and change into directories ??!!

smb: \> get dd
getting file \dd of size 95 as dd (1.2 KiloBytes/sec) (average 1.2 KiloBytes/sec)
smb: \> get test2
getting file \test2 of size 436 as test2 (5.6 KiloBytes/sec) (average 3.4 KiloBytes/sec)
smb: \>
smb: \> mkdir testdir
smb: \> cd testdir
smb: \testdir\> dir
NT_STATUS_INVALID_HANDLE listing \testdir\*
smb: \testdir\>

Any idea why its not working

It seems directly listings are the only things not working, even though ls sees them on the FreeBSD box.

If I export a directory in samba that just has a normal UFS file system all works just fine. Its only when I try and export the smbfs system that it does not work.  I also try exporting a nullfs mounted file system and that worked, but again, only if the underlying file system was UFS, not smbfs

	---Mike

--
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400