Date:      Wed, 13 Dec 2000 14:07:02 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        "Donald J. Maddox" <dmaddox@sc.rr.com>
Cc:        Daniel Bye <Daniel.Bye@uk.uu.net>, "'Cliff Sarginson'" <cliff@raggedclown.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Root and the C Shell

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000, Donald J. Maddox wrote:

> I really wish you would elaborate on these situations you allude to.
> I'm not trying to argue with you.  I'm trying to learn something here :)

	The problem with presenting specific situations is that every time
this has happened in the past, there is always a never-ending round of
"Yeah, but if you did THIS you could avoid that problem, so it's still ok
to switch root's shell." The most important example though is times when
single user mode is just not available. You can argue that not having it
available is a flaw on its own, and I would agree with that. But if you
are in a position where you have to work within the customer's
constraints, that's what you have to do.

	The fact remains that you lose nothing by doing it the safe way,
and it guards against any possible weirdness down the road. There will
always be people who want to point loaded guns at their foot however, so
each to his own.

Doug