Date:      Wed, 01 Dec 2004 07:17:54 -0500
From:      Brian Bobowski <bbobowski@cogeco.ca>
To:        stan <stanb@panix.com>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ndis driver adapter layer for FreeBSD?

stan wrote:

>On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 05:29:52PM -0600, Dan Nelson wrote:
>

>>man ndis, ndiscvt
>>

>Hmm,
>
>$ man ndis
>No manual entry for ndis
>stan@black.fas.com:/home/stan
>$ man ndiscvt
>No manual entry for ndiscvt
>
>Must be a 5.x feature?
>
>In any case, thnaks for the pointer. I guess it's time to build a 5.x
>machine. Is 5.x ready for laptop type hardware? The last time I tried
>that branch it was not ready for prime time, but that was a few months
>back.

If you don't have something installed you might not have the man page
for it installed either, especially if ports are concerned; try
searching the manual at http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi
However, in this case, it seems you're correct; I searched under
4.9-RELEASE and 4.10-RELEASE(you didn't say what version you have) and
didn't find it, then discovered under 5.3-RELEASE, in the HISTORY
section, that 5.3 is the first release to include it.

Nevertheless, thought I'd mention that the website man pages are useful
for looking up software you don't have installed; it can help identify
whether it is available, and if so, whether it can do what you want.

-BB