Date:      Thu, 08 Dec 2005 19:59:09 +1300
From:      Doug Hawkins <illusion65@gmail.com>
To:        'jon freddy' <hominid767@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation

Gayn Winters wrote:

>>I use Linux, but for a project I am doing it involves
>>the BSD port system so now I want to experience it for
>>myself. As I said I have Linux and Windows with GRUB.
>>If I try and install FreeBSD will it detect I already
>>have grub, a swap drive? Will it also give me an
>>option to partition it?
>>

>I strongly recommend reading about installations, slices, and (BSD)
>partitions in the FreeBSD Handbook
>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/index.html.

I concur with Gayn, read all about it first!  FreeBSD uses the term
"slice" for DOS-style disk partitions and "partition" for the
subdivisions within a given "slice".  You don't want to confuse that
while creating file new systems!  NTFSresize is a great Linux utility
for altering Windows partitions.

I've had WinXP on one disk, and FreeBSD 5.4 on another for ~6 mo.
Recently upgraded to FreeBSD 6.0 on a spare 40G disk slice (I now have
40G: FBSD 5.4, 100G: NTFS non-boot, 40G FBSD 6.0, & 20G spare on a 200G
disk), but I couldn't boot FBSD6!

It turns out the reason was that old BIOS boot limit (found that out
from GRUB).  Since only the root filesystem needs to be below the limit,
I pointed my FBSD 5.4 swap to use FBSD 6's swap space, then moved FBSD
6's root into FBSD 5.4's old swap space (which is below that limit).

Works great.  If you are putting another OS on the same disk, you may
have the same challenge.  Good luck.  Feel free to contact me directly
if you'd like more details about the process.

Doug