Date:      28 Oct 1999 20:02:02 -0400
From:      Kevin Street <street@iname.com>
To:        "David Kurtzberg" <david@cql.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: changing ports install hard drive

"David Kurtzberg" <david@cql.com> writes:

> 	I recently added a scsi hard drive to my freebsd box and mounted it under
> /usr2.  I would like the programs that ports installed to be installed on
> that drive, instead of /usr.  How do I set this up?

The easiest thing to do is probably to move all of /usr/local and
/usr/X11R6 onto your new drive.  Then create symlinks in /usr to point
to them.

# cd /usr
# mv local /usr2
# ln -s /usr2/local local

and the same for /usr/X11R6.

The mv will run for a while.  You might consider taking a
backup before you do this.  You probably don't want to be running X
or a shell that you've installed in /usr/local/bin while you're moving
them (ie. go to single user first).

--
Kevin Street
street@iname.com