Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 09:50:20 -0700
From:      Jason F Wells <jason+freebsd@routermonkey.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Keyboard detection in 4.2-RELEASE, 4.2-STABLE

Here's problem I've been having for some time that I haven't
been able to find a solution to.

We have several FreeBSD servers in our server room, and our
crude-but-effective method for administering them
has been to use a central monitor and keyboard which we
plug into the servers as necessary. (We don't have a KVM box.)
This has always worked fine until we started installing
FreeBSD 4.2 on our servers.

Now we find that if a server is rebooted without the keyboard
connected when it boots, if we plug in a keyboard after the
fact it doesn't work. If the keyboard is connected at boot time,
it can be unplugged and plugged back in without any problem.

This seems to affect all the machines we have, from our latest
and greatest Dual PIII box down to my own personal P166. Does
anyone know what's causing this, and more importantly, how
to disable it so that things work like they used to?

Thanks,
Jason.