Date:      Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:31:17 +0200
From:      "Barry Irwin" <bvi@lair.moria.org>
To:        <zel@free.fr>, <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: PLEASE HEEEEEELLLLPPPP ME...

Hi

Your problem is that the ports you have allowed are not the only ports FTP
uses.  FTP makes use of two separate TCP connections.

The first is the command connection ( 21/tcp) which is the connection used
for logging in , and issuing commands.  However when you make a data
connection ( retrieving a file, listing a directory) a data connection is
opened up.   Traditionally , port 20/tcp ( ftp-data) was used.   The process
being that the server opened a connection to your client machine from port
20.

This clearly has issues when combined with firewalls and NAT.

The other FTP transfer mode is Passive mode.  Here, a data request is made,
and the server provides details of what port the client should connect to.

The problem you are seeing is because you are not natting all the possible
ports through.  The best suggestion I have is to install something like
jftpgw which will run on your firewall/gateway and act as a FTP proxy back
to the FTP server.

Regards,

Barry