Date:      Wed, 14 Sep 2005 21:23:36 -0700
From:      "Jeff D. Hamann" <jeff.hamann@forestinformatics.com>
To:        <freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org>
Subject:   where's the cvsupfile?

I've installed FreeBSD-6.0BETA4 and I'm having a bit of a time. I can't get
the usb drive to mount... anywhere. The floppy drive won't mount when I
type,

#  mount -v -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt

so I can't even transfer files to a floppy drive to help post the error
messages from the machine! I finally had to install an additional NIC (the
on-board sis965L chipset -- I've verified that the device sis is in the
GENERIC kernel config file, but that was just taking a guess since the sis
device is ) to try to cvsup to the latest ports. There's no /etc/cvsupfile
present. I would simply create one by hand, but I don't know what values to
put in there now (RELEG_6 or BETA_6 or what). The machine is an asus vintage
ae-1 (I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the other problems
described below or not) and so far I haven't been successful in doing any of
the following:

1) getting the on-board nic to light up
2) mounting a usb flash drive

and now,

3) running cvsup

When I created a /etc/cvsupfile by hand:

bobby# cat cvsupfile
*default  host=cvsup5.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=RELENG_6
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default  compress
src-src
ports-all
doc-all
bobby#

my response was:

bobby# /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L 2 /etc/cvsupfile
Parsing supfile "/etc/cvsupfile"
Parse error in "/etc/cvsupfile": Missing Field value

And now I'm stuck... And frustrated....

Ideas?

I went to 6.0BETA4 becuase of an initial problem with getting my hard drive
past the boot process (I think BSD was detecting the incorrect disk
geometry?) in 5.4 and I'm starting to wonder if I sould focus on that
version rather than spend more time with 6.0BETAX...

Or when is the next beta release?

Jeff.

---
Jeff D. Hamann